It’s that magical time of year when there’s a plethora of British festivals to choose from – snap up tickets fast and you can still see some of the most exclusive bands and performers on the planet whilst enjoying the English summer. Sunshine, the great outdoors, and live music – what’s not to love?! I partied last weekend away with festival dyed sheep at Latitude festival in Suffolk, which was an absolute blast, but I learned the hard way that packing well for a festival is essential to your overall experience.
Weather conditions can change very fast and when you’re staying in a tent, you want to ensure you have everything you need to get through the weekend in as much comfort as possible. I first met gal pals Harriet and Tamsin at Latitude festival two years ago. They are brilliant company and always look chic throughout a festival come rain or shine – or even when hugging a tree!
As seasoned festival goers, I picked Tamsin and Harriet’s brains to create the essential Festival Survival Packing List, to ensure you have all the necessities to get you through a festival this summer. Here are some items you cannot leave the house without!
- A Festival Bag – to keep all your precious possessions with you at all time. Extra bonus if it’s waterproof and features a cross body strap to free up your arms.
- Dry Shampoo – when decent showers are limited, this spray on haircare product is the best solution to looking well coiffed.
- Waterproof Jacket – it wouldn’t be a proper English festival without an inevitable downpour when you are least expecting it. A lightweight poncho or waterproof jacket is an absolute must have.
- Sensible Footwear – bring at least two pairs of old shoes you don’t really care about getting damaged (or never being the same again post festival). Remember to pack wellies -walking in the sticky and oozy mud in sandals is not fun – take my word for it!
- Wet Wipes & Loo Roll – not the most glamorous of bathroom accessories, but these are definitely essential items you will regret not bringing. One trip to a festival portaloo will bring this truth home real fast.
- Face Paint, Novelty Glasses & Festival Flair – probably one of my favourite aspects of a festival is the opportunity to dress as crazy and wacky as you like. You can’t go wrong with glittery face paint, neon body paint and pink Vegas showgirl style lashes! Bring your cheap and cheerful sunglasses rather than an expensive pair to avoid disappointment.
- Bin Bags – don’t underestimate the importance of a bin bag! They come in very handy during downpours and when packing up all your possessions at the end of a festival. My friend Anna has even made a poncho out of one.
- A Handheld Mirror & Towels – these items are not provided at festivals and you will miss them if you don’t have them. Simple as that!
- Battery Powered Charger – Skip the lines and the overpriced cost of charging your phone or camera with a battery powered charger. Just remember to charge it pre-festival otherwise you won’t catch a snap of Lily Allen up close and personal!
- Air Bed & Flag For Your Tent – go one up on the price point for an air bed in your tent. Your body will thank you for it. Attach a recognisable flag to your tent to make locating it amongst the 1,000s of other tents that much easier.
- Insect Repellant & Sunscreen – lather up on sunscreen during the day and insect repellant at night. A festival is that much more enjoyable sunburn and mosquito bite free. Aloe vera or after sun is handy to have too!